By Jessica Hansen
The crocodile in this story loves watermelon – a lot! He likes to eat it all the time. That is, until he swallows The Watermelon Seed. Now he is worried the seed is going to grow inside him and cause all kinds of problems. Will this seed ruin his love for watermelon?
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Check for understanding.
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- A: Cross checking.
- A: Blend sounds; stretch and reread.
- F: Read appropriate-level texts that are a good fit.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.
- E: Use pictures, illustrations, and diagrams.