By Ashley Mater
In this nonfiction book, My Brother Martin: A Sister Remembers Growing Up with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Christine King Farris opens windows to the past to share what it was like growing up with her brothers in the King home. Farris shows the reader what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. experienced as a child, and how his famous dream began to form.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Ask questions throughout reading process.
- C: Determine and analyze author's purpose and support with text.
- A: Use the pictures.
- A: Chunk letters and sounds together.
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.
- E: Ask someone to define the word for you.