The Literacy CAFE™ System helps students understand and master
the four key components of successful reading:
Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expanding Vocabulary.
How does it work?
The CAFE Menu breaks each component—comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and expanding vocabulary—into significant strategies that support each goal. Posted on the classroom wall and built throughout the year, it serves as a visual reminder of whole-class instruction as well as individual student goals.
Teachers use The CAFE System to assess, instruct, and monitor student progress. It provides tools for constructing group and individual lessons that provide just-in-time instruction, ensuring that all students reach their potential. The system helps teachers
- establish and track the strengths and goals of each child by providing a structure for conferring;
- organize assessment data and use it to inform instruction;
- maximize time with students in whole-group, small-group, and one-on-one settings;
- create flexible small groups focused on specific reading needs;
- engage students, fostering ownership and accountability to reach goals; and
- develop a common language to talk about reading development and proficiency.
The CAFE System is delivered through the structure and framework of The Daily 5, which builds behaviors of independence and stamina.
Hover over the CAFE tab above to begin accessing resources to implement The CAFE System yourself. In addition to accessing lesson downloads, assessments, and videos, be sure to visit the Interactive CAFE Menu, which will be an invaluable support.
We continue to update on a regular basis to share our newest thinking, refinements, and current research, and others’ contributions.
Get what you need today.
Come back again for what you need tomorrow.