The Literacy CAFE System provides teachers with a way to maximize student understanding of the four key components of successful reading through the use of the CAFE Menu. CAFE is an acronym for Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expand Vocabulary.
The CAFE Menu breaks each component—comprehension, accuracy, fluency, and expand vocabulary—into significant strategies that support each goal. Posted on the classroom wall and built throughout the year, it serves as a visual reminder of whole-class instruction as well as individual student goals.
Teachers use The CAFE System to assess, instruct, and monitor student progress. It provides tools for constructing group and individual lessons that provide just-in-time instruction, ensuring that all students reach their potential. The system helps teachers
- establish and track the strengths and goals of each child by providing a structure for conferring;
- organize assessment data and use it to inform instruction;
- maximize time with students in whole-group, small-group, and one-on-one settings;
- create flexible small groups focused on specific reading needs;
- engage students, fostering ownership and accountability to reach goals; and
- develop a common language to talk about reading development and proficiency.
The CAFE System is delivered through the structure and framework of The Daily 5, which builds behaviors of independence and stamina.
Join Our Community
Join The Daily CAFE as an Entry level member to gain access to content articles, and receive the Tip of the Week newsletter. This weekly communication provides thought-provoking, instructional, and inspirational articles to help you and your students thrive.
Continuing Education Opportunities
One month of weekly webinars. Each seminar focuses on one method: the Daily 5, CAFE, Math Daily 3, or Classroom Design. Graduate-level credit available.
Get one or two full days of training by Gail Boushey, Allison Behne, and The 2 Sisters Team. Learn how to apply the Daily 5, Math Daily 3, and CAFE to any curriculum and classroom.
Two online three-credit courses: Launching Daily 5 and CAFE; Launching Math Daily 3. Delivered by Allison Behne, assistant professor, Upper Iowa University