The Keeping Quilt traces the creation of an heirloom quilt made from the clothing of family members. Their stories are shared as the quilt is passed down from generation to generation.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Make a picture or mental image.
- C: Compare and contrast within and between text.
- C: Recognize literary elements.
- A: Cross-check.
- A: Flip the sound.
- F: Read text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling.
- E: Use pictures, illustrations, and diagrams.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.