By Patty Meckstroth
In the book Pink and Say, Pinkus Aylee and Sheldon Curtis are young Union soldiers who meet during the Civil War and discover how the bonds of true friendship can never be broken.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- C: Infer and support with evidence.
- C: Compare and contrast within and between text.
- A: Flip the sound.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- F: Read the text as the author would say it, conveying meaning or feeling.
- E: Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning.