This well-loved story takes us on a train ride to the North Pole where together, with a young boy, we discover the magic of Christmas and the power of belief. The Polar Express is a classic holiday tale filled with strategy instruction possibilities.
Possible strategy instruction:
- Ask questions throughout the reading process.
- Recognize literary elements (genre, plot, character, setting, problem/resolution, theme).
- Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- Read text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling.
- Use dictionaries, thesauruses, and glossaries as tools.
- Use word parts to determine the meaning of words (prefixes, suffixes, origins, abbreviations, etc.).