By Katie Schafer
When The Graves Family moves to Union City, they don't quite fit in. After they paint their house blood red, the only people willing to meet them are Seth and Sarah Miller, the children from across the street. Seth and Sarah see strange things all over the house. Nonetheless, Seth and Sara accept an invitation to come back for dinner. From there the Graves family starts to be invited to more events in town but the strangeness continues with Mrs. Graves at the Garden Club Tea, and Dr. Graves and his hair-growing elixir. Will the Graves family ever fit in and be accepted by the people of Union City?
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Make a picture or mental image
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm
- A: Skip the word, then come back.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.)
- F: Read text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing
- E: Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning