Online, self-guided sessions for passionate educators who want to build a classroom culture of independence, engagement, and success.
Your time. Your space. Your agenda.
Sessions begin monthly.
All participants of the Fundamental Seminars will receive:
- Three-month All-Access membership or extension to The Daily CAFE website.
- An opportunity to collaborate with teachers from around the world through an online discussion board dedicated to your seminar.
- Responses to your individual questions from Allison Behne, Jessica Hellberg, or Gail Boushey.
All participants of the Essential Elements Seminars have these opportunities to maximize their learning:
- Collaborate with teachers from around the world through a seminar-exclusive online discussion board.
- Have your individual questions answered by a member of The Daily CAFE Team.
What Will I Learn?
Daily 5 Literacy Framework
- foundational elements and brain research associated with Daily 5
- strategies to build stamina and independence with all students.
LEARN HOW TO
- structure literacy time so students work independently and productively while you deliver instruction in small groups and one-on-one.
- apply the framework to your classroom.
- launch each task: Read to Self, Work on Writing, Read to Someone, Listen to Reading, and Word Work.
- support students that have a difficult time building independence and stamina.
CAFE Literacy System
- a system that delivers focused, intentional, just-in-time instruction.
LEARN HOW TO
- identify individual student needs through assessment.
- determine goals and instructional plans to meet student needs.
- implement a system to monitor instructional steps and student progress.
- differentiate via whole-group, small-group, and one-on-one lessons.
- accelerate progress by applying a menu of strategies for mastering literacy: Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, and Expanding Vocabulary.
- partner with students to build independence, and increase engagement.
Math Daily 3 Literacy System
- the underlying brain research and learning motivators associated with Math Daily 3.
LEARN HOW TO
- Launch Math Daily 3 tasks (Math by Myself, Math Writing, and Math with Someone)
- apply Math Daily 3 to YOUR curriculum.
- use the gradual-release process for introducing new concepts.
- build engagement through choice.
- Provide students the time they need to practice authentic tasks that lead to understanding and application of mathematics concepts.
- how to enhance the design of your classroom for optimal learning.
- why a shift from traditional classroom design is important;
- essential elements of classroom design; and
- how to make the most of each area in your classroom, tailoring it to your style and your students’ learning needs.
- new techniques and skills to reduce off-task behaviors while increasing opportunities for active engagement in learning.
- how to build behaviors of engagement in your students;
- how to discern the causes of off-task behaviors; and
- get tips and supports for teaching students to be self-aware.
Register for a Session
November 6–December 3, 2019
Courses offered: Daily 5, CAFE, Math Daily 3, Classroom Design, Behavior Strategies
Sign up for one or more.
January 8–February 5, 2020
Courses offered: Daily 5, CAFE, Math Daily 3, Behavior Strategies
Sign up for one or more.
What topics are offered?
- Daily 5 Framework
- Math Daily 3 Framework
- CAFE Literacy System
- Behavior Strategies
- Classroom Design
In the registration section, you can see what is offered each month.
Approximately how much time should I set aside for participation?
The answer to this question depends on the participant! The seminars are self-paced. Some people choose to sit down, and complete it in a few long work sessions. Others like to complete it in smaller chunks. It is designed to be completed over the course of four weeks.
We suggest giving yourself 1.5–2 hours per module to get through the online seminar content. Taking an active role in discussions can take additional time.
Each seminar is one month in length. However, we allow access to the content for one month following the end of the course in case life gets in the way!
How much do they cost?
Find cost information here.
Do I need to be an All Access Daily CAFE member to participate?
No. We welcome anyone! All Access Members do receive a discount. Your discount can be found by selecting My Account in the upper right corner of the webpage, and then on Membership.
What supplemental materials will I need?
- A notebook to keep track of all of your new learning.
- Access to a copy of:
- Daily 5, 2nd edition—Daily 5 and Math Daily 3 Online Seminars
- CAFE Book—CAFE Online Seminar
What should I expect?
You are given access to an exclusive online platform that includes:
- pre-recorded instructional webinars,
- and discussion boards.
The content is designed for you to work at your own pace at a time that is convenient for you.
What do I get with my participation?
You receive access to an exclusive discussion board, which remains open until four weeks after the seminar end date. The group discussions are facilitated by a member of our Daily CAFE team.
In the Fundamental Seminars you will also receive three months All Access to The Daily CAFE website.
Who is the instructor for my course?
The instructors for the courses vary by topic and month. Our instructors include Allison Behne, Suzanne Rea, Jessica Hellberg, Ellen Greany, and Janet Scott. All content has been approved by Gail Boushey.
Are graduate credits available?
Graduate credits are available for each of the Fundamental seminars. You can receive one semester hour of graduate level professional development credit from Upper Iowa University upon completion. Additional coursework and a processing fee is required. Find out more.
At this time credit is not available for the Essential seminars.
Will I receive a Certification of Completion?
Yes, a Certificate of Completion will be provided to participants upon completion of each course.