This beautiful book (illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds) is based on the childhood experience of Georgie Badiel and will move every reader to see the importance of bringing clean drinking water to people for whom it is a luxury instead of a basic right.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Determine and analyze author's purpose and support with text.
- C: Infer and support with evidence.
- A: Use the pictures . . . Do the words and pictures match?
- A: Cross checking . . . Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in my speaking and writing.
- E: Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning.