When a well-meaning elf presents a toy to Santa that accidentally knocks him out cold, the elf must find a good Santa substitute. That’s where Murray comes in. The rhyming text is hilarious. For example,
Christmas, you know, is that one special season,
When people do good things without a good reason.
The grouchiest men will wear musical ties,
And buy Christmas presents for folks they despise.
How Murray Saved Christmas is a book I never tire of reading aloud.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- Check for understanding.
- Back up and reread.
- Ask questions throughout the reading process.
- Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm.
- Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- Skip the word, then come back.
- Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing (revved, tinkerer, fabulous, fluttered, schlep, fracture, shrugged, perplexed, hemmed, hawed, pleasant).