Our neighbor's music sometimes pounds its way into our house late at night, so I could totally relate to Noisy Night and the disgruntled characters longing for sleep. It is an amusing book filled with onomatopoeia and chances to predict.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm.
- C: Make a picture or mental image.
- A: Use the pictures . . . Do the words and pictures match?
- A: Cross checking . . . Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in my speaking and writing.
- E: Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning.