As a young child, Maya Lin loved nature, art, and studying the spaces around her. She noticed and appreciated the patterns of light and lines, and imagined herself becoming an architect. She entered a contest in her last year of college, never dreaming that she would beat out thousands of entries to design the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- C: Determine and analyze author’s purpose and support with text.
- C: Infer and support with evidence.
- A: Cross checking . . . Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Read the text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.