By Holly Johnson
In the story The Kissing Hand, Chester Raccoon is anxious about his first day of school. His mother helps reassure him by kissing his palm and telling him to press his hand against his cheek whenever he feels lonely, to remind himself of home and her love.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Predict what will happen; use text to confirm.
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- A: Use the pictures . . . Do the words and pictures match?
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- F: Voracious reading.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.