In Jabari Jumps, a young boy summons the courage to jump off the diving board for the first time. His observing father is patient, kind, and supportive. The wonderful illustrations by Gaia Cornwall show the story from a variety of viewpoints. If you write small-moment stories during writing workshop, you’ll want to consider this as a mentor text.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- C: Determine and analyze author’s purpose and support with text.
- C: Infer and support with evidence.
- A: Use the pictures . . . Do the words and the pictures match?
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.