By Barb McKenzie
Greedy Zebra is based on an African folktale that explains how the zebra got its stripes. The story describes how the animals come to a cave where they are provided with coats. The greedy zebra takes his time getting to the cave, and once there has to create his own coat. His greediness has an adverse effect on the coat's outcome.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Compare and contrast within and between texts.
- C: Recognize literary elements.
- C: Use text features.
- A: Cross-checking... Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- F: Read text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- E: Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.