By Melissa Jewart
In the book Giraffes Can't Dance, Gerald the giraffe loves to dance, but he is a bit awkward and clumsy. When the other animals hold a Jungle Dance, he tries to join in but gets laughed right off the stage. After meeting a cricket that teaches him to listen to his own music, Gerald learns to let his true talent shine through.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Recognize literary elements.
- C: Determine and analyze author's purpose and support with text.
- A: Chunk letters and sounds together.
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Read the text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.