Who said there is only one way to cross the finish line? If you are looking for a text worthy of studying author's purpose or close reading, this one is rich with messages such as
- the benefits of thinking outside the box,
- not being afraid to be yourself and go your own way,
- the value of working together, and
- the power of imagination.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm.
- C: Use main idea and supporting details to determine importance.
- C: Determine and analyze author's purpose and support with text.
- C: Recognize literary elements.
- A: Cross check.
- A: Use the pictures . . . Do the words and pictures match?
- A: Chunk letters and sounds together.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing (enviously, assured, precise, peered, intent, contraption, replica).