In this twisted tale entitled Children Make Terrible Pets, a bear brings a boy home, asking "Can I keep him?" Amusement for the reader will ensue because the child, newly named Squeaker, doesn't really make a good pet and should be returned to his rightful habitat.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Use Prior knowledge to connect with text
- C: Make and adjust predictions, use text to confirm
- C: Determine and analyze author's purpose and support with text
- C: Recognize literary elements (genre, plot, character, setting, problem/resolution)
- A: Cross Checking...Do the pictures and/or words look right? Does it sound right? Does it make sense?