In "Play with Puppy," a young bunny gets what he longs for most: a puppy to play with all day long. He quickly discovers that puppies demand a lot of time and attention, and the responsibility turns out to be more than he bargained for. Told with honesty and humor in both pictures and words, this story is sure to draw in students, who will find the main character and the story relatable.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- C: Determine and analyze author’s purpose and support with text.
- C: Infer and support with evidence.
- A: Use the pictures . . . Do the words and the pictures match?
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.