The Reader is a simple story about a boy, a dog, and a day in the snow that will charm readers. We follow the boy as he tenaciously climbs a snowy hill with a mysterious suitcase and sled in tow. Though the text is simple, it is filled with wonderful vocabulary words like sturdy, loopy, impeccably, and tilting.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm.
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- A: Cross Checking . . .
- A: Use the pictures . . .
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.