We just discovered this delightful book, Pigs to the Rescue by John Himmelman, about Farmer Greenstalk and his family who experience problem after problem on their farm. The pigs, ever watchful, always rush in to assist, though their help isn't actually helpful. They have the best of intentions however, and the madcap illustrations will undoubtedly bring a chuckle or two to children and adult readers alike. It would make a fabulous read aloud, and might be used to teach the following strategies:
- C: Make a Picture or Mental Image
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm
- A: Cross Checking
- A: Use the pictures...Do the words and the pictures match?
- F: Reread text: the repeating line "Pigs to the Rescue!" provides multiple opportunities to read fluently and with expression
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody