In How to Be, what begins as a fun tutorial romp between a brother and sister on how to be a bear, monkey, turtle, snake, spider, and a dog, ends with a simple and poignant directive on how to be a person. It serves as a great reminder to be ourselves.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text
- C: Infer and support with evidence
- C: Determine and analyze author's purpose and support with text
- A: Cross Checking...Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- F: Read text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing