Classic Jon Klassen illustrations are the perfect complement to this fun and quirky tale in which a little girl remains true to herself and her passions. Fans of I Want My Hat Back will be delighted to see some of their favorite characters in Extra Yarn.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm
- C: Make a picture or mental image.
- C: Recognize literary elements (genre, plot, character, setting problem/resolution, theme).
- A: Cross Checking. Do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense?
- A: Use the pictures. Do the words and pictures match?
- A: Chunk the letters and sounds together.
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.)
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new words in speaking and writing (distraction, remarkable, miraculous, twitched, quivered, shivered, trembled, hurled).