Early Bird likes to wake up early. She sets off to find some breakfast, allowing readers to follow her through the simple text to the surprise ending. This is probably most suitable for kindergarten and first grade.
Possible Strategy Instruction:
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm
- A: Cross Checking . . .
- A: Use the pictures . . .
- F: Reread text.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- E: Use word parts to determine the meaning of words (flowerbed, spiderweb).
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing (journey).