By Carolyn Shannon
Gail Gibbons presents a beautifully illustrated and clearly written nonfiction text about deserts. She introduces us to the climate, location, and inhabitants of Deserts around the world.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Use text features (titles, headings, captions, graphic features).
- C: Ask questions throughout the reading process.
- C: Back up and reread.
- A: Skip the word, and then come back.
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- E: Use pictures, illustrations, and diagrams.