Lit Lesson by Mallory Pickens
Officer Buckle has a difficult time holding students’ attention when sharing his beloved safety tips until Gloria, a police dog, joins him. The experience leads to an important lesson on the value of friendship and teamwork.
Possible strategies for instruction:
- Infer and support with evidence.
- Recognize and explain cause-and-effect relationships.
- Use the pictures . . . Do the words and the pictures match?
- Cross checking.
- Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.
- Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning.