Lit Lesson by Dena Argerson
This is the story of Cinderella and her neighbor Cinder Edna. They each have to deal with a wicked stepmother and cruel stepsisters like the traditional fairy tale. The main difference between Cinderella and Cinder Edna is that Cinder Edna is resourceful and finds a way to make her life more enjoyable through her various interests. Both Cinders find themselves at the ball and losing a shoe at midnight. But will they both find their prince and end up living happily ever after?
Possible strategy instruction:
- Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm.
- Compare and contrast within and between text.
- Skip the word, then come back.
- Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- Reread text.
- Use word parts to determine the meaning of words (prefixes, suffixes, origins, abbreviations, etc.).
- Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.