By Linnea Eschenbaum
Wonder is the story of Auggie, a 10-year-old boy who was born with craniofacial anomalies. He is attending a mainstream school for the first time. He longs to be treated normally, but that's not what happens. The story tells of his experience through the perspective of the people who play important roles in his life.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- C: Make a picture or mental image.
- C: Use text features (titles, headings, captions, graphic features)
- A: Trade a word/guess a word that makes sense.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.