The Relatives Came is a darling story about what it is like to have relatives come for a summer visit. The relatives stay for a long time mending fences, tending to the garden and eating all of the melons. When the family heads home, everyone is sad until they remember they will see each other again next summer.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Use prior knowledge to connect with text.
- C: Make a mental picture or image.
- A: Skip the word and then come back.
- A: Use the pictures: Do the words and pictures match?
- F: Practice common sight words and high-frequency words.
- F: Reread text.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.