By Michael Kilpatrick
In Max's Words, both of Max's brothers have collections and Max wants to collect something too. He decides to collect words. As his collection grows, he uses the words to make up stories, drawing his brothers into the adventures.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Summarize text: include sequence of main events.
- C: Recognize literary elements (genre, plot, character, setting, problem/solution, theme).
- A: Skip the word, and then come back.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.).
- F: Read text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.