By Eryn Hatchell
This is a story of a little boy and a mouse. The little mouse is hungry so the boy offers him a cookie. Then the little boy realizes If You Give a Mouse a Cookie he will need or want something else. The little mouse drives the boy crazy with all of his demands. The story ends with suspense. The author leaves the reader to wonder and predict what will happen next.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Summarize text; include sequence of main events.
- C: Predict what will happen; use text to confirm.
- A: Cross-checking.
- A: Skip the word, then come back.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- F: Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text.
- F: Reread text.
- E: Tune in to interesting words, and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.