Honoring student work comes to the forefront in this video as Janet shows us the alphabet cards that her students created and where they are posted.
What to watch for:
- Notice the unique drawings each student contributes to the class and the original artwork for each letter, which ensures that each student will be able to recognize at least one picture.
- Listen as Janet describes the many skills that are reinforced and taught during this lesson.
- How might you adapt this to the grade level you are teaching? Janet suggests that older students draw pictures of the alphabet that are related to their social studies theme.
- I also teach students to “nail the white,” which is a term that explains and reinforces filling the space with color.
- Do you post the alphabet in your classroom? Why or why not?