The CAFE Text to Teach Online Seminar will provide you with all of the basics associated with getting CAFE up and going in your classroom!
What should I expect?
The CAFE Text to Teach Online Seminar provides a focused deep dive into The CAFE Book, Second Edition. This on-demand seminar will take you chapter by chapter through the text providing clarity in your thinking along the way.
You will learn
- the three distinct pieces of CAFE along with the research that supports the CAFE system of instruction.
- the seven steps from assessment to instruction that guide us through the process of assessing students and using what we observe to inform instruction.
- the protocol we use for instruction, instructional practices to scaffold learning, and the cognitive process of learning that meets readers where they are.
- accountability for our teaching and student learning through a conferring notebook, quick checks, and touch points.
- how we design a student-centered classroom and the materials we need to make it happen.
- the research behind the CAFE Menu and how we build it with our students.
How does it work?
For each* chapter of The CAFE Book, Expanded Second Edition you will:
- Watch a video overview where our instructor, Allison Behne, highlights specific points of interest in the Chapter.
- Read the chapter and develop your own understanding, questions and reflections on the text.
- Read 1-2 specific articles that support your chapter reading.
- Take 1-2 video "field trips" to classrooms where you can watch a teacher apply the concepts, consider how you would implement them in your own classroom.
- Watch a brief wrap-up video to tie it all together that provides possible next steps.
- Take notes in your own printable guidebook with your aha moments from what you read and hear.
*Participants will need access to a copy of The CAFE Book, Expanded Second Edition. You can find it here (use code CAFE2021 for 15% off and free shipping) or try your local teaching library.
An innovative teacher, writer, and speaker, Allison Behne empowers educators to think outside the box and critically examine their instructional practices by asking, “What is best for my students?” She is the co-author of the expanded second edition of The CAFE Book, Enhanced Second Edition: Engaging All Students in Daily Literacy Assessment and Instruction.
In the course of her professional career, Allison has taught students of all ages—preschool, kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 7th, 10th, and 12th grades, at the university level, and adults. She has been a classroom teacher and an instructional coach, and is currently a writer, presenter, online seminar instructor, and developer with The Daily CAFE company. In addition, she is an Assistant Professor of Education at Upper Iowa University, leading The Daily 5, CAFE, and Math Daily 3 graduate courses.