Lit Lesson—A Quiet Place by Douglas Wood (DOWNLOAD)
Everyone needs A Quiet Place to escape to once in awhile. Though it's sometimes difficult to find one, the boy in this beautifully imaginative story finds different quiet places throughout the book.
Possible strategy instruction:
- C: Make a picture or mental image.
- C: Ask questions throughout the reading process.
- C: Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm.
- A: Use the pictures. Do the words and pictures match?
- A: Skip the word, then come back.
- F: Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.
- F: Read the text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling.
- E: Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing.
- E: Voracious reading.
Lit Lesson—A Quiet Place by Katy Sanger